Monday, October 26, 2009

It Really IS a Small World After All


I admit it- my collections are pretty much everywhere in my house, and among my favorites are my maps and globes. I probably have a couple of dozen vintage atlases and school geography books from the 20s through the 50s. I have no idea why I love them so much, but I love the colors and shapes and names on the maps. I love the funky dull turquoise blue of the ocean. I love the pale yellows, and bright spots of red. I love the hundreds and hundreds of tiny names- towns, cities, lakes, rivers, highways, parks, landmarks. I love the globes too. I love big old globes from the '50s, and the fun little bank globes from the 40s. My favorite is the one on the right of my layout... with the fun latitude markers around the outside (at least I THINK that's what they are, I'm no expert). I also have a few old map puzzles, including one from my childhood. I think the reason I love the maps and globes so much is because it brings back memories of elementary school. I remember seeing those huge maps in our classrooms, the kind that pulled down like a window shade. Every teacher had a globe on her desk, and we learned our geography from beautiful books full of maps, and photos of exotic places. I can still see in my mind's eye, photos of the Peruvian natives with their llamas. I can imagine the picture of the Bedouin family with their tents, and the Chinese children in their classroom. I haven't been to any of these places, but seeing my colorful globes and maps, reminds me that it really IS a small world after all.

5 comments:

mean mom productions said...

They are cool!

Nikki said...

Wow! How fun is that!!!

Dawn said...

Loved seeing all your globes! I have been wanting just one for my home, but have yet to find the perfect one, lol. I keep hunting tho.

Jingle said...

Those are amazing! I would love to have a big cluster of globes in my house! They are just fantastic!

CreativeChretin said...

I've never heard of anyone collecting globes....that's so cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails